Saturday, August 8, 2009

Being Self-Righteous

But we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousness's are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away. Isaiah 64:6
Times come where I can get caught up in legalism and become self-righteous. I start to put my trust in the "righteous" acts I think I am doing rather than in the completed work of Jesus Christ.
I recently heard a quote- "A believer must preach the Gospel to himself everyday."
I have to constantly remind myself of and put my trust in the completed work of Christ. He lived that perfect sinless life that I could never do. He willing went to the cross and took God's wrath upon himself for my sins. He paid the price in full. I can't achieve it. I have to trust in that and not myself.
The book of Isaiah reminds me that even the good I do is like filthy rags to the Lord. This shows my unworthiness to be a child of God.
I do desire to obey His commandments but my trust must not be in what I do but in that He paid it all at the cross. My only response to the cross is to grow in holiness and give myself over to Him as one of His disciples. May all I do for the Lord be to bring honor and glory to him and not myself. I am so privileged to be called by Him, I look at my service to the Lord as a blessing! What an honor it is to be called to serve Him! What I do is done only by the Lord's strength. Being used by God in advancing the Kingdom and building up the body is far greater than any self righteous, religious acts I can fall into at times. That kind of legalistic service to God is not what He wants. He wants me to do His will and obey his commandments because I am so grateful for what he first did for me. We Love Him, because He first Loved us (1 John 4:19) and if we do really love Him, we will also obey His commandments (John 14:23). My service and obedience is the evidence and the fruit of my faith and salvation, it is not the earning of it.
Lord I pray that I never do things in your name to try to achieve my salvation or feel good about myself. I ask for forgiveness for any self-righteousness that may be in me and that it is destroyed. I also pray that I never get upset with or look down on other believers who may be strugling but rather be used by you to correct or encourage them. I don't want to ever become self righteous and I realize that I am no better than my fellow believers. It is only because of your Grace alone and the Righteousness of Christ that I will be found right before you. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment